WORKSHOP: Let’s Keep It Short with Kim Der | A tutorial and custom cutoff shorts workshop
A custom pair of cutoffs from your old denim
An interactive How-To in cutoff shorts, with a take home guide.
Refreshments: mimosas and natural lemonade
Join us May 25th from 2pm to 5pm at Hideout for a BYO (Bring-Your-Own) Denim afternoon workshop! Kim Der will be hosting a How-To on cutting and thrashing custom denim shorts from old jeans, and will be reworking the pair of your old jeans into your new favourite custom summer cutoffs just the way you like ‘em. Classic Mom-jean shorts anyone?!
We’ve all tried it at one time or another and it isn’t always as easy as just chopping the pant legs straight across to get the look you’re after. It’s hard enough to find that perfect pair of high waisted mom jean shorts that are shorter in the front and longer in the back so your butt isn’t falling out, or with distressing in all the right places. Not to mention REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE is what we all need to do more of! Why buy new, when we can rework what we already have and don’t wear anymore?
Kim is a pro when it comes to making the perfect custom denim cutoffs and especially when it comes to “thrashing” (aka distressing). She’ll give you a run down of tips and tricks on how to cut the different styles, and what jeans work best for them, and which ones don’t. Using different techniques, she’ll show you how she thrashes old denim to add some wear in places you want.
Some style options to consider:
Mom Jean shorts (relaxed fit, regular/raw denim, high waisted)
Bermuda shorts (relaxed fit, regular/raw denim, high waisted)
Knee Length or Bike shorts (skinny/fitted denim, regular/raw denim or can have some stretch)
Pedal Pushers (below the knee cutoffs that can be skinny fit or relaxed, regular/raw denim or stretch, just depends on if you already like the leg fit of the jeans you’re bringing)
IMPORTANT!! In signing up for this workshop:
• You MUST include a first and last name, email address and phone number at checkout so we can get in touch (if you’re signing up a group, give us a list of all the names in the note section at checkout)
• You MUST bring one or a few appropriate options of YOUR OWN old denim to be reworked into the style of shorts you want. (We will not be providing the jeans for you, unless you find a pair of vintage jeans in the shop you like, purchased separately!)***
• This is a non-refundable workshop! If you sign up and have to CANCEL or you don’t bring your own denim to take part, you’ll be provided an in-store credit to be used at Hideout Distro.
• Vintage men’s Wranglers, Lee Jeans, Levi’s, etc. with a relaxed or looser fit / high waisted are a GREAT option, but whatever you’ve got will do!
• Raw denim or denim without stretch is best for styles like the classic mom-jean shorts. Avoid bringing skinny denim or denim with stretch if you’re going for the mom-jean look, but they’ll be perfect for a bike short, pedal pusher, or knee length skinny.
• Kim will go through the different styles of shorts and how to cut them to achieve the look. Everyone will get a take-home guide, so you can try it out yourself with jeans in the future.